Once a simple novelty app that allowed users to take impermanent pictures, Snapchat has transformed into a multi-faceted mainstream app that adds new features almost daily. One of the most prominent changes is the addition of filters. Unlike Instagram’s filters that enhance your picture, Snapchat’s filters enhance the picture taking experience. The app uses facial recognition to create interactive filters that not only form to your face but respond to your movements. Transform yourself into a majestic lion or raise your eyebrows to see giant alligator tears roll down your cheeks. With new filters coming in and out of rotation, it’s hard to keep track, so we rounded up the five filters we couldn’t snap without.
1. Beauty filter: We’ve all been startled, or even scared, by our appearance in a front facing camera. Enter the beauty filter, a skin smoothing, contour applying, filtered miracle that will have you feeling red carpet ready with every click. We sort of wish life had a beauty filter.
2. Flower crown filter: We know this filter was made in honor of festival season, but we’d like it to stick around all year long. This hippie inspired look is surprisingly flattering and will make you feel like you’re at Coachella even if you’re on the East Coast.
3. Face swap: Is there anything more hilarious and strange than Snapchat’s face swap feature? Grab a friend, allow Snapchat to do its swapping magic, and behold a bizarre mishmash of features. This filter works with almost anything that resembles a face: magazine covers, your Starbucks cup, a surge protector. The possibilities are as endless as they are entertaining.
4. Puppy filter: There’s a reason why this is a mainstay in the filter carousel. Apply it, and you’ll become an adorable puppy with gently folded ears and a black nose. The real fun is when you open your mouth and a giant dog tongue appears. Who doesn’t love a puppy you don’t have to take care of?
5. Work Out Filter: This is one of the more interactive filters. You start with a bloated face, baby weights in hand, and a sweatband around your head. Open your mouth, and your eyes burst with energy, you churn out rapid fire bicep curls, and your face thins out. If only our spin class produced these kind of immediate results.